My time in Paris has been flying by! I can't believe that I only have around two weeks left here in Paris. My classes have been going well, and they take up most of my time during the week. The only true struggle is learning to pronounce the language properly. For some reason, I find French more difficult to pronounce than any other language that I have ever studied. Today after class, I couldn't even smile because my cheek muscles hurt so much.
Outside of class, I have been taking time to visit the various museums and churches throughout Paris. I have become friends with several people from my classes that enjoy seeing art as much as I do, so we will go to visit different places throughout the week. My favorite museum is still the Musee D'Orsay which focuses on the Impressionist Period. It has paintings by Manet, Monet, Renoir, Van Gogh, Degas, and other artists from this period. I also enjoy the Rodin museum. He donated most of his statues to the city of Paris so they have a beautiful collection.
On the 4th of July, I went with some American priests who are also studying at Rome to see Omaha Beach. Since we couldn't go home, we wanted to celebrate the 4th by seeing the price of freedom. It was a moving experience to stand on the beach where so many Americans gave their lives to help liberate Europe. The beach and cemetery were deafeningly quiet, and the sand was filled with messages of gratitude scribbled by grateful visitors. It was hard to not be moved by the experience.
Unfortunately, I forgot the computer cord for my camera at Rome, so I will have to wait to share my pictures.
As always, my love and prayers are with all of you at home, and I ask that you continue to pray for me as well.
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sounds like a wonderful time-and french is one thing i CAN pronounce :)
they let all of us go at the seminary after all the guys left. quite a shock-stay in touch~
Post a Comment