"Take this book of Holy Scripture and be faithful in handing on the Word of God, so that it may grow strong in the hearts of His people. Amen"
With these words, I was instituted recently as a Lector in the Catholic Church. Before Vatican II, the steps to Priesthood were filled with the minor orders of Porter, Lector, Exorcist, and Acolyte. These were then followed by the major orders of Subdiaconate, Diaconate, and Priesthood. As a gerneral rule, the minor orders at this time were reserved to those on the step to priesthood. After Vatican II in 1972, Paul VI issued the letter Ministeria Quaedam in order to reform these practices so that they could better serve the life of the Church. The steps required for priesthood were reduced to lector, acolyte, and diaconate.
In some ways, it seemed a little strange to contemplate being instituted because you can already serve as a lector and altar server in the US without it. At my major seminary, however, only instituted men serve during mass, so I was excited at the thought of being able to serve in the Liturgy again.
The Rite for Institution of Lectors is very beautiful. As your name is called, you stand and announce "present". This is
a powerful moment, and I can only imagine how much powerful it will be when I repeat it at my Ordination. The first time I heard this, it sounded very dull. I tried thinking of a word that would sound more exciting, but there are no other words that will serve in this moment. I can't say that I am prepared or ready. To say that I am ready makes me feel like I am saying that I have done everything required to be worthy of this honor. But in the end, it is not about me. It is not about whether I have studied adequately or prepared myself physically or committed myself to embracing a life of celibacy and service. In the end, it is about God. He is the one calling me, and I can only respond to His invitation to service. So I rose to declare myself present to Christ, so that He may begin His work in me.
The bishop began by giving a homily in which he talking about our need to reflect deeply on the Word of God so that what we proclaim with our lips is coming from our hearts. He wanted us to see how everything we do on the altar is a ministry in which we seek to give Christ to others.
After some prayers, we are called forth to receive the Book of the Scriptures in our hands. As we grasp the book, the bishop exhorts us with the words which you read above. In the end, my heart was moved deeply by the experience. Before this, priesthood seemed like a far off dream that I could never reach. This event made it more real and close than it has ever been before. For the first time in three years, the goal is in view, and everything that I have been striving towards is finally becoming a reality. It also made me feel an even greater bond of brotherhood with the men here in the house. Going through this Rite within them at my side cemented the relationships that we have been forming over the past few months. We will continue to support one another over the next few years as we step ever closer to Ordination.
I would like to close with the words of the prayer used over us during the Rite:
"Bless our brothers who have been chosen for the ministry of reader.
Grant that as they meditate constantly on your word they may grow in its wisdom and faithfully proclaim it to your people."

NB: For those who would like to se more pictures of this event, go to http://www.pnac.org/ and click on the link for Lector Installation or Photo Archive. Both of these will bring you to a list of files. Choose the one labeled "2009.01.11 - Lector Install"
No comments:
Post a Comment